Wednesday 27 August 2008

Whole Foods vs. Nutrients

I had an extra long bank holiday weekend this week. Five days to rest and renew. On the whole it was a success, I bought a stack of books that I can hardly wait to devour, including In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan.

I am already loving this book, and I am only 30 pages in, (I would be further along, but reading on a London bus is more difficult than you may imagine). The basic premise is 'Eat food, not too much. Mostly plants' as I see it so far the point is: eat real foods, whole foods, & stop worrying about nutrients, because whole foods and fruit and veggies are full of them anyway-- and science isn't advanced enough to second guess nature.

Sounds good to me. I am looking forward to hearing what he says about red meat, butter, and other dairy products. I find small doses is the best strategy, and never buy margarine or processed meats. I have always felt this makes more sense, and I am hoping Pollan will back up his theories with some real evidence.

No comments: