Sunday 13 July 2008

Inner Voice

I found it! I have discovered my inner voice. The chanting evening was a truly enlightening experience, I came out feeling lightened, relaxed and more in touch with myself than ever before. Big claims for an hour and a half of chanting, I know. It was a medium sized group of about 20 people, all of whom were there for different reasons, and all of whom took different things away from the experience.
Sharing a room with people on a similar path is uplifting in itself; everyone was open (to varying degrees) to the experience, and we all had a good time. The most interesting part for me was an exercise called one breath, one voice, one sound. The Idea is to stand in the middle of the room and make whatever sound you want to. This freedom seems rare in our busy modern lives, and a non-judgemental environment is not always easy to find. Everyone made completely different sounds, no two were alike, and they certainly didn't match up to my expectations, small women screaming their lungs out, large men singing gentle tones, the list goes on. This was not the most powerful part of the experience for me though; that would have to be my turn. I was suitably nervous but knew I wanted to give it a go. I had an idea the sound would be a cool high toned Laaa...it was not, it was a more visceral, more tuneful, more honest sound, and I am not quite sure where it came from, but I liked it, and I recommend making more noise to anyone and everyone! I certainly will be.

No comments: